John the Baptist Cathedral in Wrocław (Germ. Breslauer Dom, Kathedrale St. Johannes des Täufers)
Beautiful gothic church located in the Wrocław’s Ostrów Tumski was built around XIII-XIV century.
In the location of the current cathedral there had been 3 other churches before.
The current cathedral was destroyed during World War Two by the Red Army during the siege of Wrocław stronghold – about 70% of the cathedral was destroyed. A part of remaining equipment was robbed by the Russians. The cathedral and its interiors was being rebuilt for many years.
In the village there is a baroque church of St. Mary Magdalene, raised in 1703-1705. It comprises a rectangular tower adjoined which is a remaining of an earlier gothic temple.
On the tower there is a bell dated 1579. Inside the temple the artefacts of late baroque and a cross-barrel vault can be seen. Nearby you can find a baroque presbytery of 1676. In Brzeźnica there is also an electrical palace from the 2nd half of XIX century. It’s a couple-storey bulding.
Święta Góra Sanctuary - Gostyń
In 1468 on Święta Góra (Holly Mountain) a chapel to honour Our Lady was built. Due to the fact it was becoming more and more popular, a church was built on its place in 1512.
After Adam Florian Konarzewski was healed there he became the first founder of the today’s basilica.
Nowadays in Gostyń there is a breath-taking basilica of the Blessed Virgin Mary built in 1676 – 1698. The frescoes on its dome were built in 1746. The basilica was built in Italian-baroque style and based on the Venetian Santa Maria della Salute basilica.
Świebodzin (niem. Schwiebus) - Statue of Christ the King
Monument stands at 16.5 m mound. Jesus statue is 33 meters (figure of Jesus) 3-meter gilded crown so it is higher than the statue of Christ the Redeemer in Rio de Janeiro by 3 meters.
Monument in Swiebodzin is the highest in the world sculpture depicting Jesus.
The staging of the Żary Battle
On February 15th in Żary there was a reconstruction of fights which begun by the Red Army entering Żary on February 13th 1945. The fights ended with the Red Army conquering the town on the 16th (according to other sources 17th) February
The staging was played by: Lubuska Historical Reconstruction Group, Sagan Historical Association from Żagań, Ostrovian Historical Reconstruction Group, reconsructors from Germany and scouts from Żary.