Field Kitchen Festival - Walim
On June 21st 2014 in Walim in Hubert Inn the 1st Field Kitchen Festival was organised.
During the festival delicious food was served. It had been prepared basing on original recipes of military cooks: solianka, goulash soup, pea soup. The organizers prepared the reconstructions of canteens and clothes from the past (they also took care of music catering). During the festival the movie “Kucharze Historii” was played.
Otyń (German Deutsch-Wartenberg, Wartenberg)
Otyń currently is a village having about 1,300 inhabitants, but in the years 1329 to 1945 had city rights.
Despite a fire in 1702 still retains many historic homes and historic urban layout (from the fourteenth to the nineteenth century.)
In the town are the ruins of the gothic castle (who was also a Jesuit monastery).
In Ochla village there is a Museum of Ethnography where over 60 monuments of countryside architecture can be found (scattered across a 13ha area). It’s a charming place where, from the very entrance, one can feel as in the old-time countryside. In the antique houses old furniture, appliances, traditional clothes and fabrics have been displayed.
Military Unit in Żary
An old military unit in Żary is an interesting place to see.
From the huge military complex only two buildings have been adapted, the rest fall into ruin (despite the fact they have a private owner).
Part of the area is let out for a stock space.
Below the photos of the abandoned part of the complex.
Nowogrodziec (after war: Nowimburk, Germ. Naumburg am Queis)
Among numerous monuments of Nowogrodziec the following can be mentioned:
-Parish Church of St Peter and Paul – late baroque
-Ruins of a monastery
-Old evangelical church
-Church of St. Nicholas
-St. Joseph hospital
Niwiska (Germ. Niebusch, Bergenwald)
In the village there are two churches (one desolate) and a palace.
Slightly camouflaged behind trees and bushes (next to Voluntary Fire Service) there are ruins of a protestant church built in XVIII century (and rebuilt in XIX for late-classical style). Till the late ‘60s it was a catholic church where masses were celebrated. The church is becoming more and more desolate after transferring the parish to the Church of Lady of the Rosary at the opposite side of the road. This church was built in the XIII century.