Otyń (German Deutsch-Wartenberg, Wartenberg)
Otyń currently is a village having about 1,300 inhabitants, but in the years 1329 to 1945 had city rights.
Despite a fire in 1702 still retains many historic homes and historic urban layout (from the fourteenth to the nineteenth century.)
In the town are the ruins of the gothic castle (who was also a Jesuit monastery).
In Ochla village there is a Museum of Ethnography where over 60 monuments of countryside architecture can be found (scattered across a 13ha area). It’s a charming place where, from the very entrance, one can feel as in the old-time countryside. In the antique houses old furniture, appliances, traditional clothes and fabrics have been displayed.
Military Unit in Żary
An old military unit in Żary is an interesting place to see.
From the huge military complex only two buildings have been adapted, the rest fall into ruin (despite the fact they have a private owner).
Part of the area is let out for a stock space.
Below the photos of the abandoned part of the complex.
Niwiska (Germ. Niebusch, Bergenwald)
In the village there are two churches (one desolate) and a palace.
Slightly camouflaged behind trees and bushes (next to Voluntary Fire Service) there are ruins of a protestant church built in XVIII century (and rebuilt in XIX for late-classical style). Till the late ‘60s it was a catholic church where masses were celebrated. The church is becoming more and more desolate after transferring the parish to the Church of Lady of the Rosary at the opposite side of the road. This church was built in the XIII century.
In the village there is a baroque church of St. Mary Magdalene, raised in 1703-1705. It comprises a rectangular tower adjoined which is a remaining of an earlier gothic temple.
On the tower there is a bell dated 1579. Inside the temple the artefacts of late baroque and a cross-barrel vault can be seen. Nearby you can find a baroque presbytery of 1676. In Brzeźnica there is also an electrical palace from the 2nd half of XIX century. It’s a couple-storey bulding.